Saturday, April 25, 2015

Texture Slab Sculpture

Because we had yet to really do subtractive work with clay, I decided it was time to try a little carving. To begin, our students pre-drew a series of zentangles to practice designs and rhythm that would look nice transferred into clay. After sketching, students received a slab of clay that they carved the design out of. After being cooked, fresh clay was rolled on top of the slab to create a protruding design. Then, students built a vessel out of their textured slabs. I know that we are seeing a lot of bowls, boxes, and cups in sculpture, and call me uncreative, but I just feel like items with a purpose are kept longer, appreciated more, and that students gain greater satisfaction in seeing their sculptures being used! I wouldn't want a giant clay shoe laying around my house... but maybe that's just me!

Here is an example of a before and after of the clay slab and it's transfer:
and here are the finished products!

 


Though this was fun, I'm so excited to see the outcome of our next project, so keep your eyes peeled for it!



1 comment:

Your thoughts are important! Thank you for sharing them.