Monday, March 9, 2015

Calligraphy Quotes


If I'm being completely honest here, calligraphy is not my favorite thing in the world. I was first exposed to it when I was a Sophomore in high school. I was chosen as the Honor Society secretary, and as such was given the responsibility of hand writing the names on the certificates for the incoming members of the Honor Society... in calligraphy. Even after what felt like a million names, I still wasn't all that great at it. Then during my senior year of high school I took a calligraphy class, which was fun and all, but still I had a long way to go. I will admit that I thought that was the end of the road for calligraphy and I... until I had some drawing students ask if we could learn how to do it. And, because I REALLY love I students, I said yes. After all, calligraphy is the art of drawing your letters.

As an introduction to calligraphy we learned about where it came from and all the different things it is used for. I tried to show examples of where they may want to use calligraphy in their own lives  down the road (ie: addressing envelopes, writing certificates, signs, etc.) and we looked at classic calligraphy vs. modern calligraphy (or hand-lettering. shown below) Here and here you can view some amazing videos of artists writing in calligraphy. It's mesmorizing.







With a crash course in calligraphy (and I mean CRASH course, because there is way more to this stuff than meets the eye) our drawing students dove into the art of writing. With a watercolor accented background, each student chose a simple quote to "draw". The variety was so cool, and the quotes were nothing short of wonderful. Check them out!



For their first time doing calligraphy, I'm pretty darn impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are important! Thank you for sharing them.