Wednesday, February 25, 2015

More Lines Everywhere!

I'm a little out of order, but wanted to make sure I posted out Valentines day art project when it was still around Valentines day!

Prior to doing our "Valen-lines" project, the students were introduced to "Line" as an element of art. They met my friend Larry the Line, who shared a little poem with them. (Larry may or may not have been my arm, wrist, and hand with googlie eyes... but with a little imagination he was a very talented snake! haha)
We learned about different types of lines found in art with the following poem:
Larry the line is a friend of mine,
He can make 3 lines for me! 
Ver-ti-cal
Diag-o-nal
And Hor-i-zon-tal
Any curve he can learn with a twist and a turn,
And when he's out of his tangle, 
He makes a great angle!
Any line he can make,
After all, he's a snake!

After making "lines" with their own arms, we looked at different pieces of artwork and identified the various lines we could see in them. A few examples of the artwork is shown below:

















Georges Rouault "The Old King" and Pablo Picasso's "The Weeping Woman"
"Lily" by Alfonse Mucha and finally a really cool piece of line art that I could not track down the artist of! 















I introduced my K-1 class to my favorite childhood book that was torn and loved so much, I just had to buy myself my own classroom copy. The story "Purple, Green, and Yellow" by Robert Munsch. 
It's pretty much the cutest book to teach children not to color on the walls, floors, or themselves! In the spirit of such, the children practiced drawing various lines on their "hands".



It was pretty rainy and windy the day we had art, so it was the perfect day for our 2-3 graders to do our Crazy Line Hair paintings.

John, Amy, Summer, and David had to use a lot of focus when styling those do's!

Every kind of line we could possibly identify makes for some pretty crazy hair days!

Finally, our 4-5 grade classes focused on implying movement and volume with curved lines and value. 
Abby is clearly very focused ;) and Daniel was on a red streak that day!


The summer yellows and oranges used by Chayse and Alexa make me so warm and fuzzy inside.

So many cool effects caused by the simple element of Line!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are important! Thank you for sharing them.